Thursday, May 21, 2015

Diabetes and Pizza

I mentioned in a previous post that I had started using MFP again. I don't have a meeting scheduled with my diabetes educator at this time. I don't know how many carbs I should be eating. I got a diabetes book, and according to the chart on it, for my height, weight and age, I should aim for about 220 carbs. Since I have been reading things that are wildly different from that on websites, I decided to lower the carb-bar a bit and set a daily goal of 180g of carbs at least until I meet with the Diabetes Educator. And I know that all carbs are not quite the same, and it depends on whether you eat carbs alone or with protein or with fat. I am learning. It was such a privilege not to have to think about this, and now I have to. It's tough, but I do want to learn and educate myself. My husband keeps reminding me that carbs/day is bulls**t, and that I should probably pay more attention to carbs/hour since the goal is to keep my blood sugar stable throughout the day. He is right. Spikes at mealtimes, and lows at all other times is probably not the best idea. I will try to eat smaller meals more frequently, but the nature of my work makes that hard to do. However, I am trying to eat something small at least every 2-3 hours. I forget sometime, but I am trying.

Anyway, I was at a workplace meeting yesterday, and they had pizza. I knew I was going to be too exhausted to cook when I got home. I also knew that I had not eaten anything but a handful of veggies and a teaspoon of dip about 4 hours prior to that. So, I quickly calculated what was going to eat. I decided on 3 slices. That would put me over my carb total by several grams. So, I got 3 slices, ate a slice and a half, and then for the rest, I picked off the cheese and the toppings and just ate that and discarded the crust. Honestly, it's the toppings that make pizza delicious - the crust is just tasteless, really. (Also, baked crust with the cheese and toppings removed looks gross, BTW). Since I did that, I found what looked like a lower cal/carb pizza item on MFP and used that. I know it's just an estimation, and not actual - they didn't have the local pizza chain on there. This is what my day looked like:



On days I exercise, I eat more to compensate. From the log, it's not clearly understandable, but some of these are part-servings. For instance, I only ate 12 crackers (1/3rd serving) of the TJ Rice crackers. That's why the carb/cal on it are lower. As you can see, I am not meeting my protein goal. Hubby has insisted I eat more eggs. He went and got 8 cartons of dozen-eggs yesterday!!!!! They were on sale, and he said he thought maybe stocking up will make me eat them. He knows I hate an overpacked fridge. :-)

2 comments:

Christina @ Love Yourself Healthy said...

You're doing well with educating yourself--it's got to be frustrating though with so much conflicting information out there! I love that he was like, "Eat more eggs!" and he brought home NINETY-SIX eggs! I hope he helps you eat some of those! Haha.

Unknown said...

Hahaha! I did not think about it that way. NINETY SIX EGGS!!! That does sound more dramatic than 8 dozen. :-) I guess I shall have to eat them now!

Post a Comment