Wednesday, May 20, 2015

All Elliptical Workouts Are Not Created Equal

I got in a good amount of exercise yesterday - I walked for a half hour over lunch - 1.6 miles. Then after work, I went and worked out at the gym - 1/2 an hour elliptical, 1/2 hr weights (arm/chest).

The gym I go to has Precor machines. On the elliptical, I almost always pick the preset "Weight-loss" mode, and set the incline and resistance to 10 each (both go up to a 20). I enter my weight and age, and after about a half hour, it gives me an estimated amount of calories burned. For a half hour, it is almost always around 350 cal. Yesterday, I selected the "Interval Mode". selected my usual 10/10 incline/resistance, and entered my height and weight. Over a third of this workout was at a resistance of 18!!!! That was tough!!!! I was huffing and puffing, and pretty certain I was going to end up burning thousands of calories. Imagine my surprise then, when after a half hour, I had only burned 345 calories!!! I kept going until I hit 350 (another half a minute, maybe), but it was really disappointing. If I can burn 350 cal without doing all the intense resistance work, then why not just do the easier option? Maybe there is a glitch in their program!

My legs are SORE today! I might go for a stroll over lunch or in the evening today, but no more.

BREAKFAST
3/4 c. Cottage Cheese. I also had a banana and a cup of tea w. 2% milk and no sugar.

MID-MORNING SNACK
Unphotographed Colby Jack Cheese; 1 Saltine

LUNCH
Asian Jar Salad; 8oz Coconut Water

SNACK
A few weeks ago, my supervisee and I had lunch together. She brought a very delicious smelling noodle dish. I remarked to her later that it smelled yummy, and asked for a recipe. She said it was from the a Korean Store in Portland. Yesterday, she said she had gone to the store again, and brought me a sample to see if I liked it. I did. I loved it! It's Korean Chap Chae noodles or what is called "glass noodles" in the US. They are made from sweet-potato starch and are gluten-free.
1/2 c. Chap Chae w. Vegetables

DINNER
1 c. Quinoa Tabbouleh; 1 c. low-sodium Garbanzos
I also had a cup of milk (12 carbs) with 4 tea biscuits (10 carbs total) for dessert.

EXERCISE
30 min moderate pace walk at lunchtime, 1.6 miles
30 min on the elliptical
30 min strength-training arms & chest

2 comments:

Christina @ Love Yourself Healthy said...

Mmm, your food always looks so good! We lived in Korea for 2 years, and I LOVE japchae (the spelling in roman characters varies depending on who you talk to, lol)! Makes me want to run out and get some Korean food! I always *think* about taking walks at lunch, but I hate to get all sweaty to come back to work. It's so humid and hot here already. That sounds so nice though!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Christina! Do you have a japchae recipe? I found some online, but if you have one that is tried and tested, I would appreciate that. I hate walking outside when it is hot and humid. It's still temperate here, thankfully. Have a nice day!

Post a Comment