Tuesday, January 26, 2016

NSV

I had a lovely NSV day yesterday. As my first bus pulled into the main bus station, I saw my connecting bus leave teh station. My first bus had been a minute or so late. Rather than wait another half an hour to catch the next bus, I attempted to sprint to the next bus stop that was just over 0.3 miles away. And astonishingly, I made it before the bus did. This is not astonishing because I ran faster than the bus - the bus had two stoplights and stopped along the way allowing me to overtake it. It's astonishing because I did not think I had the stamina to run that far that fast. I ran there in 2 minutes, which is about the equivalent of running at the speed of a 6 minute mile - SO BLOODY IMPRESSIVE TO ME!!!!

Now, I am not a runner. I know there are hordes of people who absolutely love running. I do not - it sounds horrible to me. I briefly tried to see if I could get the "runner's high", but I didn't. I get a real high just from walking long distances though. And it's far more low-impact on my body. The very idea of what "pounding the pavement" might do to my knees even with good shoes on is rather scary to think about. I maintain that if people run, they should do so over sand or grass or some other natural surface that our bodies were made to run on - long-term running on concrete scares the crap out of me. In any case, since I don't run, I don't think of myself as a person who has the sort of stamina that allows one to run. I have often thought that if I were someone from a long time ago, rather than run from a predator, I might as well give up and get eaten because I wouldn't be able to anyway. This is why the fast sprint yesterday surprised me so much, measly distance as it was...

BREAKFAST
Two Oranges

LUNCH
Salad w. Spinach, Yellow Bell Pepper, Tomato, Cucumber, Walnuts, Greek dressing with a Morningstar veggie burger crumbled in for protein

SNACK
Hummus and carrots

Tea and Homemade low-sugar chocolate biscotti

DINNER
I'm trying to use up stuff that I have at home before I go grocery shopping again. So, I threw together this weird combination of stuffing, broccoli, carrots, black beans, spices and baked it all up. It turned out quite good. Also had a hunk of queso fresco on the side. Followed this up with two unphotographed chocolate truffles.

EXERCISE
10,099 steps

4 comments:

Christina @ Love Yourself Healthy said...

Wow, that run is super impressive! I've also always thought that if was running for my life, I'd probably just give up at the beginning because I'm such a slow runner, lol.

Lori said...

Great NSV and your food looks yummy as always :)

#fatfreefloozy said...

Wow! That is the stuff movie scenes are made of! Love this story!!!

Unknown said...

Haha. I doubt I'd have been able to run as fast for any longer. I was panting horribly when I boarded the bus. It was good though to know that I could do it. And it was good that I didn't have to wait an extra half hour.

Post a Comment