Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Back on Track

After a week of eating somewhat poorly (though not terrible), and not exercising, I am back on track. Starting yesterday, I have been eating well. Work and life are busy this week, and most days I am doing something or other until about 9am, so I'm not going to get much exercise, but I think I'm going to try to sneak in 20-30 min walks on some lunchtimes. Also the thing that's keeping me away from home late today is a dance class, so that's some exercise (even though it's not vigorous dancing).

Since I have been eating well these last few days, my BG levels have been more or less good as well. Better than before anyway. I am cutting down my carbs to about 45g/meal and 15g/snack. This is the advice given to me by my CDE. I meet with a nutritionist in 2 weeks. However, on the online diabetes forum, people are very aggressively suggesting that 45g/meal does not work, and that it should be Low Carb High Fat (LCHF). They suggest that being in ketosis is what has helped them all - and there are tons of people on that forum who say the same thing. They suggest no more than 45g/day. I am trying to figure out what is best. On the one hand, it is very hard to ignore the legions of people who are advocating so strongly for LCHF. On the other hand, doctors and nutritionists are advocating against it. There's also a lot of info on the internet that says ketosis is dangerous in the long term. Others say that it isn't ketosis, but ketoacidosis that is the problem. However, if you have ketoacidosis, that's not a long-term thing - you will get very sick very quickly. I can't really get a definitive answer about what the long term effects of ketosis are. Very confusing. I can try to do LCHF if need be, but I don't want to. So, I am going to start with 45g/meal-15g/snack and see what it does to my BG levels over a couple of months. For the last few days, it has been working well for me. If I am able to do this and lower my BG levels, then I don't need to switch over to LCHF. If it doesn't, I'll give LCHF a go.

This was my food yesterday:

BREAKFAST
Same breakfast as yesterday - 2 eggs w. tomato, basil, cheese.

LUNCH
Same salad as yesterday.

SNACK
Same snack as yesterday - I am a woman of infinite monotony, apparently!
Then I broke the monotony by eating an almond a coconut KIND bar a few hours later.

DINNER
Then I became monotonous again by eating the yesterday's dinner again - lentil-barley-veggie soup
Later - 2 squares of dark chocolate and 1/4 cup of peanuts.

EXERCISE
10 min walk at lunchtime. I didn't get more time. But, it's something...

1 comments:

Christina @ Love Yourself Healthy said...

Sounds like you're doing great! I would also stick with the guidelines that your CDE gave you; why make things harder than they have to be? I tend to be fairly monotonous in my meals too... it's so much easier to stick with what you know works!

Post a Comment